Mary Milam Whiteside
- Ph.D. Mathematical Statistics, Texas Tech University
- M.S. Mathematics, Texas Tech University
- B.A. Mathematics, English, University of Texas at Austin
- Professor, Department of Information Systems and Operations Management, University of Texas Arlington, 1989-Present.
- Chair, Department of Information Systems and Management Sciences, University of Texas Arlington, 1989-1998.
- Acting Chair, Department of Information Systems and Management Sciences, University of Texas Arlington, 1988-1989.
- Associate Professor of Information Systems and Management Sciences, University of Texas Arlington, 1984-1989.
- Assistant Professor in Statistics, Operations Research and Data Processing and Analysis, University of Texas at Austin, 1978-1984.
- Visiting Assistant Professor, College of Business Administration, Texas Tech University, 1977-1978.
Awards, Honors, and Certifications
- Beta Gamma Sigma International Honor Society, 2010.
- UT Arlington COBA Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, 2005.
- Allied Academics Distinguished Research Award, 2004.
- Decision Sciences Institute, Honorable Mention for the Elwood S. Buffa Doctoral Dissertation Competition (Chairman), 1996.
- Best Doctoral Dissertation Award, Aerospace Human Factors Association and the Institute of Aviation, University of Illinois, (Chairman), 1994.
Teaching and Research Interests
- Business Statistics
- Statistics and the Law
- Robust Estimation Alternatives
- Weltman, David and Whiteside, Mary, “Comparing the Effectiveness of Traditional and Active Learning Methods in Business Statistics: Convergence to the Mean,” Journal of Statistics Education, 2010, 16(1), pp. 1-13.
- Whiteside, Mary M. and Eakin, Mark E., “A Better Estimate of the Number of Valid Signatures on a Petition,” The American Statistician, 2008, 62(1), pp. 17-21.
- McKinney, Vicki R. and Whiteside, Mary M., “Maintaining Distributed Relationships,” Communications of the ACM, 2006, 49(3), pp. 82-86.
- Whiteside, Mary, Eakin, Mark, Choi, Byong and Crockett, Henry D., "Modified Chance Constrained Linear Programming under Uncertainty," Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 2000, 67, pp. 255-287.
- Talluri, Srinivas, Whiteside, Mary M. and Seipel, Scott J., “A Nonparametric Stochastic Procedure for FMS Evaluation,” European Journal of Operational Research, 2000, 124(3), pp. 529 - 538.
- Eakin, Mark, Schkade, Lawrence, L. and Whiteside, Mary M., "Optimal Cost Sampling for Decision Making with Multiple Regression Models," Decision Sciences, 1989, 20(1), pp. 14-26.
- Duran, B. S., Whiteside, M. and Boullion, T., "Asymptotic Efficiency of the Sum of Squared Ranks Test for Discrete Distributions," Communications in Statistics Part B: Simulation and Computation, 1976, B.5(1), pp. 33-42.