Self Monitoring of Progress in SOCW 6355
Session 1: How am I doing?
Take the following quiz after class:
- I have some ideas on possible projects for this class.
- My hardware is ready: computer, headset with
microphone, webcam, etc.
- My software is ready, e.g., latest version of an office suite,
etc. (Microsoft, open office) from UTA or
- My telecommunications are ready: internet access,
email, IE8, Firefox, or Chrome are up to date
- I have ideas on what my personal WWW site will look like.
- I have cleared my schedule to allow me to spend 4-6 hours per week on
- I have time management and stress reduction mechanisms in place,
exercise, relaxation, social support networks, etc. for this semester
- I have virus scanning software installed (free
from the UTA server, see course website) and backup procedures for my important computer files.
- I have my computer course and Internet files protected from other
members of my family (if necessary)
- I feel overwhelmed
- You should keep a paper or word processing file with your ideas.
Whenever you get a new one, jot it down and then file or word process it.
- You should insure that your computer hard disk has adequate free space
(100mb), your headset with microphone is working, you will have a webcam
when needed, etc.
- The Microsoft office suite is available at a
great price from the Maverick Computer store in the
University Center (student activities bldg).
is available free as a download.
- You should insure that you have good
connectivity to the Internet and the latest
version of Internet Explorer or another browser.
- You should be looking at personal WWW sites and finding ones that you
like and saving the bookmarks so you can examine them more closely.
- Other things significant in your life (partners, kids, fun) must be
re-arranged to acquire the time to take any graduate course. Don't think
this will happen automatically or you can just work harder or faster. Make
sure you discussed this additional time burden with your significant
others (spouse, kids).
- If you do not have ways to relax, exercise and reduce stress, the
additional time of a class can cause problems to creep into your
life. Make sure you have set aside a block of quiet time to prepare
for class and work on assignments.
- Hard disks do crash. You should not have to spend more than a day to
completely recover essential files from a hard disk crash once a new disk is put in. Practice safe computing and so others do not catch a virus from your
files. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The UTA web
site has free virus scanning software.
- If you have kids, you should have ways to restrict their Internet access
or to know what they are doing on the Net when you are not around.
- You have a right to feel overwhelmed. You are thinking about several
months activities for a course and many hours of work. Much of the
information is unfamiliar. Read the section on individual change in
chapter 6. Acknowledge the feeling, but do not let it cause you problems.
Score and meaning
A score of
8-10 correct = You're in excellent shape to complete the course
4-7 correct = You're well grounded and on the right course
0-3 correct = Plan to spend some extra time on this section
Session 2: How am I doing? (You may want
to develop a list)