AGENDA: Session 6: Determining human service
information needs and capacities
From the Syllabus:
Session 6: Determining human service information needs and capacities
Exploring how human service professionals view and use
information and technology.
Text: Ch 8 (Human service information needs)
Assignments: Suggest that application review #4 submitted.
Review Internal and External Organizational influences on information needs
(be able to discuss these influences on your project)
Discuss decision making at various levels of the organization/person who is
subject of their project
Discuss how various influences on information needs will influence system design
If time, address Review and Discussion Questions from Chap 8
- Would several professional practitioners who used different methodologies
(cognitive or behavioral) be consistent in the information they need to work
with the same client? Should they be consistent?
- In direct service with clients, does a best decision typically exist, or
are many decisions equally good in most cases?
- Why are novices often better than experts at explaining what they do?
- How would you define intuition? What role does processed information play
in intuition? What role does intuition play in practitioner and top
management decision making?
- What added complexities for IT exist when a decision is made by a group
rather than by an individual (for example, in a case conference)? What IT
tools exist to support group decision making?
Next week: Session 7: Hardware and software influences
relationship of hardware and software to system design.
Text: Ch 9 (Hardware and