SOCW 6355: Advanced Use of  IT in Human Services

Week Three Agenda  Current uses of technology

(From the syllabus) 3Feb11, Session 3: Current uses of technology

Online:  Internet tour of current uses of technology for policy, community practice, management, group practice, direct practice, and self help.   From the text, identify 2 applications that you think will be useful in your future practice. Discussion on how social workers currently use technology.  Review netiquette (net etiquette).

Text: Ch. 3 (Generic Applications), Ch 4 (Management Applications), Ch 5 (human services Applications)

Reading:  Schoech, D., Basham, R., and Fluke, J. (2006).  A Technology Enhanced EBP Model.  Journal of Evidence-Based Social Work, 3(3/4), 55-72.

Assignment:   Suggest that application review #1 submitted.  Look at The Software Connection for possible applications to review.

Miscellaneous Information

Comment on Blog.

1.      Need to help develop text and video chat rules, norms, symbols, culture, etc.

a.       Less than 35% of the message in a conversation is conveyed by spoken words—the other 65% is communicated with facial expressions and body language. Without the visual, you miss most of the nonverbal cues.  Ray L. Birdwhistell

2.      Review debate topics and discuss debate schedule to be decided next week

3.      Guest Speakers

Discussion of ideas for Student Projects (Paper/web part A&B)

Discussion and questions on Web Page design assignment

(UTA online library) Barak, A., Hen, L., Boniel-Nissim, M., & N. Shapira.  (2008). A Comprehensive Review and a Meta-Analysis of the Effectiveness of Internet-Based Psychotherapeutic Interventions.  Journal of Technology in Human Services, 26(2/4), 109-160 

Applications in PowerPoint

  1. Robot applications from last week's agenda
  2. Discuss current uses and Web sites for applications of technology for policy
  3. Discuss current uses and Web sites for applications of technology for community practice
  4. Discuss current uses and Web sites for applications of technology for management
  5. Discuss current uses and Web sites for applications of technology for group practice
  6. Discuss current uses and Web sites for applications of technology for direct practice
  7. Discuss current uses and Web sites for applications of technology for client self help

Guest Speaker, Jayne Cravens (Look over resources provided below)

  1. Online Culture & Communities of Volunteers:  Realities and Benefits of Connecting Volunteers (and all humans) Online http://www.coyotecommunications.com/culture/index.shtml
  2. Wikipedia entry for Virtual Volunteering  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_volunteering
  3. Myths About Online Volunteering / Virtual Volunteering http://www.coyotecommunications.com/volunteer/ovmyths.html
  4. Essential/Favorite Resources Regarding Volunteer Management and Volunteerism
    http://www.coyotecommunications.com/volunteer/favresources.html

(from the syllabus) 10Feb11, Session 4: IT application development process

Online: The change process, information as a resource, system development process, successful technology transfer. Decide debate topics, schedule, and teams.

Text: Ch. 6 (Developing IT applications)

Reading:  Schoech, D., Interoperability and the future of Human Services (document provided)

Assignments:  Suggest that application review #2 submitted.