Graduate Business Services

Graduating Student - Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to Graduating Students' FAQs

How do I change my graduation date?

Please complete the GMAP (Graduate Maverick Academic Progress) Review Request & Change Specialization form to update your expected graduation date. Fax the form to 817.272.5799 or scan and email the form to Graduate Business Services. Note this form is also used for substitutions and reviewing your GMAP. It is very important that your graduation date is correct so that you will receive important information about graduation that we will mail to you.

Who can I talk to if I have questions about my GMAP and want to check that I’m still on schedule to graduate?

You can contact your Graduate Advisor if you have questions about your GMAP. You may also request a review of your GMAP (Graduate Maverick Academic Progress) Review Request & Change Specialization Form. GBS will review your GMAP and return it to you.

What do I need to do to apply for graduation?

You need to complete an online application for graduation on the MyMav system. Graduate Studies' application date for each semester is on the Graduate Calendar. Remember that the application to graduate and the commencement ceremony are two separate and distinct events. Walking at the commencement ceremony does not mean you have met the requirements to graduate and receive a diploma.

When will I receive information about the commencement ceremony?

The CoB Dean’s Office will mail you information about the commencement ceremony along with a response card so that you can state your intent to participate in the commencement ceremony. Only those that complete a response card and apply for graduation will receive information on how to access tickets. Replying with a response card and applying for graduation within the time parameters will ensure that you receive information on tickets. Mailings are scheduled for: Fall semesters in November and Spring semesters in April.

Where will the commencement ceremony be held?

The commencement ceremony will be held in College Park Center on the University of Texas at Arlington campus. A map is available for your reference.

Where do I purchase my cap and gown?

Academic regalia may be purchased at the UTA Bookstore. Candidates must wear academic regalia if participating in the ceremony. The color of the hood is drab. All College of Business Masters students wear the same color.

Where do I purchase announcements?

Candidates may purchase announcements at the UTA Bookstore.

How many commencement guest tickets am I eligible to receive and how can I get additional guest tickets?

The number of tickets received is determined by dividing the number of candidates by the number of seats available in College Park Center. Those tickets are distributed during Reserved Ticket week. One ticket required per adult, child or infant. Tickets are not available at the commencement ceremony at College Park Center.

Can commencement tickets be mailed to me?

Tickets will not be sent through the mail nor can you pick them up. You will receive instructions through your UTA email account concerning how to retrieve and print your tickets.

Will there be a rehearsal?

There will be no rehearsal before the ceremony.

Will there be photographs taken as I walk across the stage?

A professional photographer will take your picture as you receive your memento. The photographer will mail/email you ordering information to purchase pictures.

Will I be able to purchase a video of the commencement ceremony?

At this time, videos of the commencement ceremonies are not available for purchase. Feel free to watch the videos here.

What should I wear to the commencement ceremony?

Dress for the ceremony is business casual.

How long is the commencement ceremony?

The commencement ceremony lasts approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

When and where do I arrive for the ceremony?

Candidates must report to the rear/west entrance of College Park Center no later than one hour prior to the ceremony.

When should my guests arrive for the ceremony?

Doors to College Park Center (CPC) will open approximately one hour prior to the beginning of each ceremony. Seating is open and guests may claim their seats when entering CPC on a first come, first serve basis. In order for all guests to have an equal opportunity to claim seats, guests will be asked not to save seats for guests who have not arrived. There will be sections reserved for disabled guests. Please ensure your guests know what time to arrive.

Are there special parking arrangements for commencement?

Parking for commencement is free in designated areas on a first come, first serve basis. Additional parking information is available..

Can I carry my purse, cell phone or camera into the ceremony?

Due to security reasons, candidates will not be allowed to carry anything with them as they proceed into College Park Center.

Will I receive my diploma when I walk across the stage?

No. You will receive a commencement memento as your name is announced.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas will be distributed from the Office of Records eight weeks after the ceremony, by mail. Specific questions about diplomas should be directed to the Office of Records, 817-272-3372.

What if my mailing address changes?

If your mailing address changes, notify the Office of Records immediately, 817-272-3372.

What if my name is difficult to pronounce?

You will have an opportunity to phonetically spell your name for the announcer when you complete your response card for the commencement ceremony. If your name is difficult to pronounce, you will have an opportunity to speak to the announcer prior to the processional.

Will my MBA diploma list my area of concentration?

No. Your diploma will only show "Master of Business Administration" on it.

What if my name changes after I have applied to graduate?

If your name changes, you can petition to get your new name printed on your diploma.